CNCzone Network: CNCzone  ::  3Dstuffzone  ::  RFQwork  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynasty 200 Troubleshooting

Default Dynasty 200 Troubleshooting

I bought a used and broken 2004 Dynasty 200(DX) on eBay. I ordered a replacement PM1 IGBT and installed it. The original PM1 had detonated to obvious failure including a big black spot After cleaning with alcohol, I then went through all the pre power checks as per the tech manual. 2ea zener diodes were bad and so replaced them. After that the machine passed all the pre power checks. I made an adapter to go from the 4 blade NEMA connector to a 120vac plug. Power up went without obvious incident - that is to say no smoke. Unfortunately there was no indication of system function either. No display. The unit did hum slightly from the top center board (PC2). Any techs or otherwise smart guys that can help me out?

It's not making a tick-tick-tick sound? If not you may have a bad boost board.

Quote Originally Posted by Macona View Post
    It's not making a tick-tick-tick sound? If not you may have a bad boost board.
    No ticking noise. Are there any components on PC10 I could examine to verify that? Would a bad boost board stop the display from functioning? The schematic on page 8-15 has a series of voltages and resistances to check. Are the voltages to be taken while powered up?

Not good. You may have blown a bunch more than you thought. Your best bet is going to be taking it to a service tech. He has much more detailed manuals than you have access to.

The ability of the Dynasty to work on a wide range of voltage also makes it much more complex. This is kind of an achilles heel. I had only seen one dynasty and one maxstar blow up like this.

Not good. You may have blown a bunch more than you thought. Your best bet is going to be taking it to a service tech. He has much more detailed manuals than you have access to.

The ability of the Dynasty to work on a wide range of voltage also makes it much more complex. This is kind of an achilles heel. I had only seen one dynasty and one maxstar blow up like this.
    And I thought I had the ultimate manual (technical)! I do not know what the exact circumstances were to cause failure of the PM1 (Semikron) part only that a 3/4" chunk had blown out of it. This failure is what you have seen twice before? I took a few resistance readings as per page 8-15 and found a couple deviations. Maybe that is also an indication of larger problem. In general I had hoped that by checking and correcting the pre power checks I could fix the unit.

Maybe you do, I dont know which one you have. Did you download it from miller's site or get it somewhere else. They have a extranet site just for vendors that has the more detailed manuals.

Maybe you do, I dont know which one you have. Did you download it from miller's site or get it somewhere else. They have a extranet site just for vendors that has the more detailed manuals.
    Miller would not give it to me for liability reasons, but Google did! The manual p/n is TM-2240M. While the tech manual is pretty easy to follow I would have liked to see some board level schematics, but oh well.

You will never fine board level schematics on newer machines. They won't even give those out with a NDA. When a machine goes out of production that seems to relax.

Techs are not trained to do component level repair. That would cost almost as much as just replacing the board in a lot of cases.

Innovat Corp does board repairs for welders. You might give them a call about fixing the boards. They have fixtures to test the boards.

I am keeping the Macona Innovat PCB repair house recommendation as an ace in the hole. For those interested, I am following the power path. I am currently checking every component as per the PCB trace(s). I am up to the PC2 board. This effort has turned into an education building experience. I have always wanted to troubleshoot something between a computer and an o-scope. Anyway, I will post updates as I fit in welder analysis to a hectic life with 2 new babies.

I am pretty sure the problem resides in PC2. No power is leaving this board. Since a schematic cannot be procured I will draw my own. This is not too bad since it is a 2-layer board. That means there are only traces on the top and bottom. I will start in the center and work my way out to the corners. Once done I can easily follow the power to each component. There is low hum I believe coming from the IGBT Q11. This part passed pre-power checks, but maybe it means something.